In this episode, Rick and Matt discuss the Stockdale Paradox and other concepts from author Jim Collins. These ideas are the perfect lens for your business and life during times of chaos.
The first concept we discuss is known as the Stockdale Paradox. Stockdale was the highest-ranking POW in Vietnam. In explaining how he and his troops survived the ordeal, we get some interesting perspectives that apply in life and business. He had unwavering faith that he would make it out of the prison camp but was also very realistic about the daily realities of the horrible conditions and uncertainties of life in the camp.
The second concept is known as Productive Paranoia. This basically means knowing what you need to protect to survive. You can’t just have blind optimism without knowing what you need. It might be cash, people, or brand equity, Once you know what is important for your business to survive, then you need to stick with it and protect it.
The third concept is Fanatical Discipline. As a business, you need to understand your metrics and once you do so, stay disciplined in achieving those metrics without getting distracted. Good times and tough times can distract us from metrics. Successful businesses are those that remain fanatically disciplined.
Listen in to learn more about how these three interesting concepts apply to your business and how they help you have a different outlook, a different way to judge your performance as a leader and ultimately how to operate your business
- Getting our first Alloy franchise up and running (00:53)
- What is The Stockdale Paradox and how it relates to your business (06:11)
- Having unwavering faith in the long term outcome of your business but being realistic of our current situation (10:00)
- The concept of Productive Paranoia and how it helps your business survive tough times (12:40)
- Fanatical discipline, how to avoid distractions in your business (19:48)
- Avoiding distractions and making rash decisions during good or tough times (24:33)
– – -> Learn more at – – > Alloy
Be sure to follow us on YouTube Alloy Personal Training
Download: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify
Mentioned in this episode
Alloy Personal Training Franchise