In this episode, we look at a concept from the Harvard Business School that helps us define the true “Job” of our product or service. Stay tuned.
In this episode, we look at a concept from the Harvard Business School that helps us define the true “Job” of our product or service.
A Harvard professor presented this concept called the job of the product. And basically, what he was challenging us to think about was when someone buys a product, or they do something, they’re buying that product to do a job. So there is a job in my life that I need to be filled and I’m going to hire a service or I’m gonna hire a product to do the said job.
Remember, the job of their product is through the lens of the customer.
Anybody that is starting a new business should maybe re-evaluate their business through this lens and sort of figure out: “Well, what job is my service?”
So, “What job is personal training really doing for people?” is where you would start. And once you can identify what that means, then you can understand who your true competitors are and you can put more effort into that.
Stay tuned as we dive deeper into the concept.
Key Points of Discussion:
- This concept called the job of the product (3:28)
- The job of their product is through the lens of the customer (7:38)
- “What job is personal training doing for people?” is where you would start (9:18)
- Understanding who your true competitors are (9:23)
- If you knew exactly what the customers were trying to accomplish… (10:00)
- “Healthier to spend your money on, come here and get your community” (12:56)
- Exercise means a lot of different things to a lot of people (15:42)
- If they’re not getting that community, they stop coming in (15:45)
- Ask that question of you, put time into it, and then run it by your team (16:06)
- Once you identify that job, then you put efforts into meeting it (16:22)
– – -> Learn more at – – > Alloy
Be sure to follow us on YouTube Alloy Personal Training
Mentioned in this episode